Saturday, July 24, 2010

Greek Night - Gyros and Greek Salad


Talk about easy to make! These took very little skill and about 15 minutes of my time, mainly because every thing is store bought and just thrown together. When I order gyros from a restaurant I always order the lamb but lamb is not readily available to me here in 29 Palms and Nick doesn't like it anyway so I used roast beef from the deli. We also used naan bread which I found in my deli, but any flat bread will do just fine.

Gyro filling:
1/2 pound of roast beef from the deli
a splash of worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
dash paprika
dash lemon pepper
black pepper
1/2 tbs olive oil
diced tomato
diced cucumber
sliced black olives
sliced red onion
feta cheese

Heat olive oil in a skillet and add  beef and seasonings heat it through and let it sit on low until ready to serve.

Tzatziki Sauce:
Tzatziki sauce is traditionally served on gyros and I love it. I'll dip anything in tzatziki sauce. This may not be a very traditional version of tatziki but it's good and it makes me happy so I don't mind much.

Small container of Greek yogurt (the commissary now sells this, yay!)
finely diced cucumber
finely diced red onion
1/2 teaspoon of dill
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
dash of lemon pepper

Mix it all together and there you go, it's done!

Once your beef is heated and your sauce is ready spray a little bit of cooking spray onto your flat bread of choice and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes, until it's nice and warm and soft. Then put a generous amount of roast beef in your flat bread followed by an insane amount of tatziki sauce, top it with onions, tomato, cucumber, olives, and feta cheese and you're ready to go!


The salad is super easy too:

Romaine lettuce ( I use Romain as opposed to iceberg because iceberg has ZERO nutritional value, it's like drinking water)
tomato
red onion
olives
cucumber
pepperocini
feta cheese

Chop up all of your ingredients and throw them together saving the feta for last. Then add your dressing of choice. We used a Greek vinaigrette but I prefer a basic olive oil dressing made by Kraft I believe. We were out of it unfortunately. Tatziki sauce might be delicious too :) I told you I loved my tzatziki sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment