Thursday, July 22, 2010

Super easy, relatively healthy, and perfect nachos

I love nachos but I have a little problem with being a perfectionist, therefore traditional nachos bother me. There is just so much inequality with traditional nachos, some get more beans and cheese than others, a chip may be larger here or there, and the toppings tend to fall off of them. While they are delicious I am often left slightly saddened by how imperfect they are. But I have a solution... mini nacho bowls. We eat them for dinner paired with my healthier Mexican rice and my borracho beans however they're good as appetizers as well.



Mini Nacho Bowls:

Baked Lays corn tortilla scoops

half a fresh jalapeno

1-2 grilled chicken breasts

1/2 can pinto beans

canned red enchilada sauce

jarred jalapenos

Monterrey jack, pepper jack, or cheddar cheese (whatever you like)

Take your chips and line a pan with them, I like to use only intact scoops. Fill each one with about 3 beans then top the beans with a bit of diced fresh jalapeno.

I like to grill my chicken in bulk and use it through out the week and I love McCormick's baja citrus marinade packet so I use that on my chicken. Shred a couple of chicken breasts and place a bite sized piece of chicken in each scoop.

Drizzle a little bit of enchilada sauce (just a little bit) over each one, don't go crazy or your nachos will be soggy.

Top each one with a sprinkle of shredded cheese followed by a jarred jalapeno slice.

Bake for a few minutes about 400 degrees and you're good to go!

So that's it, pretty easy, huh?

Now for the rice:

I use a rice cooker for this because it's easier and healthier than if I didn't.

2 cups of rice

1 can of tomato sauce

2 teaspoons cumin

salt

a dash or two of cayenne pepper

water (amount depends on your rice cookers instructions)

Dump it all into the rice cooker, mix it around, and let it do its thing! I used to saute the rice with onions in some oil before I added the water and tomato sauce and you can do that if you want. It really does taste better that way but it adds a lot of fat and calories so I omit that step now.

I'll post my borracho beans recipe later!

No comments:

Post a Comment